What is Your Freedom?
Your Freedom is a free but very sophisticated internet tunneling software. It is not a VPN software but can do much more than a typical VPN software. First launched in 2004, Your Freedom offers both free and paid accounts. Free account comes with some restrictions but these restrictions can easily be waived off by buying a paid package plan.
Restrictions of Free Account
- Bandwidth has a limit of 64 kbits/s
- Maximum connection time is 1 hour. After one hour, you will be automatically disconnected. But you can connect again immediately.
- You can only be connected 5 hours in a week interval and only 2 hours in any 24 hours interval
- Up to 15 concurrent streams
The free account doesn't behaves the same in all countries. For some countries, certain restrictions are not applicable while others do change. The maximum connection time can be made unlimited while bandwidth limit can go up to 512 kbits/s.
Supported Operating Systems
Your Freedom client software is available for these operating systems.
- Mac OS X
As of writing this, Your Freedom offers the following package plans. Click here to get an up to date list.
|Figure 1: Available Packages of Your Freedom|
Unblock Facebook, Twitter, Youtube using Your Freedom — A Step-by-Step Guide
This step-by-step guide is written for Windows 10. The process is similar for other versions of Windows.
- Go to Your Freedom website to download the latest version of Your Freedom client software. Click the download link for Windows full installer as seen in figure 2.
Figure 2: Downloading Your Freedom client software from Your Freedom website
- Click the create an account hyperlink on the same web page. Before we can use Your Freedom to unblock blocked websites, we need to create an account. Your Freedom allows you to create a free account called FreeFreedom account.
Figure 3: Creating a Your Freedom account
- On the User Registration page, the only items strictly required are username, password and a valid email address. Fill in the required fields and click the Submit button.
Figure 4: Filling in the username, password and email address
- After clicking the Submit button, you will need to verify your e-mail address. There will be an activation link in an e-mail sent by Your Freedom to your e-mail address. Click the link and a web page will appear saying that your account has been enabled.
Figure 5: Email address has been verified and account has been activated
- Now we need to install Your Freedom client software on our PC. Locate the Your Freedom client software setup file which we downloaded in step 1. It will be in the Downloads folder on your PC. Launch the setup.
Notice the file name of the Your Freedom client software setup file. It follows the format freedom-YYYYMMDD-Serial where YYYY = year, MM = month, DD = date, and Serial = serial number of the setup released in the day. In the figure 6, you can see the file name is freedom-20160510-01 which shows that this is the first version released on May 10, 2016.
Figure 6: Launching the Your Freedom client software setup
- Select Yes when the Windows asks you about allowing Your Freedom to make changes to your PC.
Figure 7: UAC notification from Windows
- Your Freedom installer will open. Click Next button.
Figure 7: Your Freedom Installer
- Choose if you want to install this software for current user only or for all users on this computer.
Figure 8: Choosing installation type
- The software, by default, installs in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Your Freedom. If you want to install to a different location, click Browse button and choose another folder. Click Next
Figure 9: Choosing destination folder
- On the next screen, click Next.
Figure 10: Choosing program folder
- The installer now asks you if you want to place a Your Freedom shortcut icon on your desktop. Click Next.
Figure 11: Choosing the placement of an icon on desktop
- The installer now shows you the current settings using which Your Freedom will be installed on your computer. Confirm them or go back to change if anything needs changing. Click Next
Figure 12: Confirming if all settings are correct
- Your Freedom installer will now begin installing Your Freedom client software on your computer. This may take a few seconds to complete.
Figure 13: Your Freedom installation in progress
- Your Freedom client software is successfully installed. Click Finish.
Figure 14: Your Freedom is successfully installed
Configuring Your Freedom
- If Your Freedom does not starts automatically, launch Your Freedom by double clicking on its icon present on the desktop. Upon first launch, Your Freedom client software will start a configuration wizard. Select your language.
Figure 15: Selecting the language
- If your network administrator has given you a proxy and port to access internet, enter this proxy and port. Your Freedom will auto detect proxy and port, if it is already set in your computer.
Figure 16: Entering proxy and port in configuration wizard
- You can apply special connection tweaks on this screen. Open the drop down menu to see if your ISP is there. If it is, select it. Special connection tweaks can even help you to access free internet on your cellular internet connection.
Figure 17: Choosing special connection tweaks
- Your Freedom uses different protocols / connection methods to connect to its servers. On this screen, you can select which protocols Your Freedom connection wizard should try to see if it can reach the servers using these protocols.
Figure 18: Choosing the protocols to try
- Your Freedom is looking for its servers. This may take a few minutes.
Figure 19: Your Freedom is looking for its servers
- Your Freedom has found its servers. The column with header text Pref is preference. The highest preferred server for your connection is placed on top and is given 10.0 value. I selected a server in UK. You can select any server and click Next.
Figure 20: Your Freedom shows available servers.
- Enter the username and password of the account that we registered on Your Freedom website in step 2. Click Next.
Figure 21: Entering the Your Freedom username and password
- Everything is set up now. Click Save and Exit.
Figure 22: Everything is set up now
- Your Freedom main window with status panel selected will open (Figure 23). Click Start Connection button.
Figure 23: Your Freedom Status Panel
- With Your Freedom connected to its server, the status panel window will look like as shown in the figure 24. Notice the door which was previously closed is now partially open. This indicates that Your Freedom is successfully connected to its server. When you would like to disconnect, click the Stop connection button.
Figure 24: The photo showing Your Freedom connected to its server in UK
- Check out the messages panel window. It shows messages related to your connectivity to Your Freedom servers. Your Freedom displays starting ports message when its ready to unblock websites for you.
Figure 25: Your Freedom messages panel window
How do you make any application to use Your Freedom to access internet?
- In our case, we want to unblock blocked websites like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube using Your Freedom. So we need to make web browsers use Your Freedom to access internet. Your Freedom provides local SOCKS4/5 and web proxy (see Figure 22) that we need to set in web browsers.
Figure 26: Local proxy provided by your Your Freedom set in Mozilla Firefox
After you set the local proxy in Mozilla Firefox as seen above, you can browse the web and all the data will through Your Freedom servers.
In this article we downloaded Your Freedom client software from Your Freedom website, registered a FreeFreedom account, installed Your Freedom on our computer, configured Your Freedom and finally connected to Your Freedom server.
To be able to use our applications such as Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome with Your Freedom, we need to set local SOCKS4/5 and web proxy provided by Your Freedom in our applications. Desktop applications like web browsers easily provide you options for setting proxy while other applications like games may not provide option to set proxy. In this case we can use socksifiers or OpenVPN with Your Freedom.
You might be interested in my other article: Unblock Facebook, Twitter, Youtube using Ultrasurf
Liked this post? You can also like our Facebook page or follow us on Google+ to get notified of new tutorials as soon as they are posted.